Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review: Gorillaz, Plastic Beach

 Gorillaz
Plastic Beach 
A-

What I like best about the Gorillaz is that no two Gorillaz songs are alike. Keeping with this tradition, their innovative new album Plastic Beach is an eclectic blend of new sounds that surprised me at every turn. It is soothing, funky, and utterly alien throughout. Standouts for me were: Superfast Jellyfish (perhaps biased because I love De La Soul), On Melancholy Hill, Pirate Jet, To Binge, Some Kind of Nature, and Empire Ants. I would also advise that all who listen to this album avoid track #8- Glitter Freeze- because it actually gave me a migraine listening to it. Seriously it sounds like a bird’s mating song that’s been autotuned. So there are a few bad apples here and there, but overall this album is a delightfully good listen.

-- Andrew Rennie
"Bangers and Mash," Sunday mornings at 8am on WGTB

2 comments:

Louisa Abada said...

baaaah I disagree sooo much about Glitter Freeze. It is great...it's with Mark E. Smith from the Fall and such a perfect combination of lofty, eerie other-worldliness and a grounding beat.

Also, this is all to say nothing of the awesome cameos by Mick Jones, Mos Def, Snoop Dogg, Lou Reed, etc...

Anonymous said...

On Melancholy Hill is the most magical song that has ever come out of Albarn's beautiful mind.