Friday, April 09, 2010

Review: Van Go Lion, Van Go Lion

 Van Go Lion
Van Go Lion
C+

 I am usually game for a little dance-party-inducing electropop music. There is a special place in my heart for the likes of Justice, La Roux, and David Guetta. That being said, the next time I get the urge to let go of my dignity and dance like Kylie Minogue, I will not be reaching for anything by Van Go Lion.

While the opening 30 seconds of “Convenience Stores and Parking Lots” seems to foretell the bubblegum pop-quality tunes that I can see myself guilty pleasure grooving to, as soon as vocalist Amy Paige opens her mouth I lose all interest. She continues to ruin a few of keyboardist Josh Loerzel’s potentially decent beats with her whiny, trite-sounding singing. Too slow to really get any kind of dance party going and too superficial to incite enjoyment on a more artistic level, Van Go Lion’s demo serves up six tracks worth of disappointment. 

-- Emma Forster
"Regional Rotations," Wednesdays 2-4 on WGTB

No comments: